Books By Jo Cattell

Books By Jo Cattell

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday Post "If There Never Is A Tomorrow"





    He shook his head and moved away from me. I could see hurt in his eyes suddenly, loneliness almost. “Is this where I tell you how sick I really am and you call me later and it's just not going to work?” He seemed annoyed at my suggestion. He walked back to his bed and sat waiting for my answer. He took a defensive pose, crossing his arms and watching me, almost daring me in away.

    I walked over and sat next to him. Turning, I took his hand, holding it in both of mine. Since I had known him, I had never thought of touching his arm, even when Jim had made the joke about it and when he himself teased me about it. Slowly I moved my hand to touch the lump that rested on the inside of his forearm, almost afraid of how it would feel. I placed my hand on top of it and could feel his blood rushing through it, almost pulsating beneath my fingers. I could feel him watching me intently. I looked up at him, my hand still feeling his life vibrating against it, “I just wanted you to tell me what I need to know if you are in trouble. What to expect when you are sick, so that I can help you if I can. That’s what a girlfriend is supposed to do.”







photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/sicoactiva/3822385828/">sicoactiva</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">cc</a>

2 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. Is this a true story or fiction? Either way, you got me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it Amberr. This story is fiction, but there are events in it that are true to life. Some of the events that I am using events that are from my life personally. There was someone in my life that was like this boy, and he actually is a very dear friend of mine, still. Thanks for stopping by and hopefully I will have this story ready to be published my Spring so you can read the whole story.~JC

    ReplyDelete